Accident Avoidance is Not Promised to You
If you have heard the shrieks of crashing metal, the screech of slammed on brakes or experienced the injury or fatality of anyone because of an auto accident, you know it is grim. And when you’re alone, unprotected and uncertain, it is even worse.
That’s when you are the most vulnerable. Because if you are not protected, your life as you know it, could disappear. In one split second, you can experience lawsuits, death, long-term disability, major medical expenses, and major property damage. Pretty scary stuff!
Get value protection before an accident by calling Cincinnati General Insurance Agency LLC and setting up a solid car insurance program that will keep you from suffering catastrophic financial losses following a serious car accident .
Your personal automobile represents the single greatest possible source of catastrophic lawsuits and legal judgements against you for major injuries, death and property damage. Because of that you need to be especially careful as to the strategies you adopt to manage this risk.
A Protective Shield
Think of your auto insurance as a shield. The shield protects you and your assets in case of loss, injury or damage. It consists of the following protections:
- Liability – in case you are found at fault
- Collision – in the event of your car is damaged by a collision
- Comprehensive – if your car is damaged by anything other than collision
Other protection includes:
- Medical Payments if you have to pay on an injury for yourself or a passenger
- Emergency Road service if you are ever stranded in your vehicle
- Uninsured Motorist Protection. Just because the law says auto insurance is mandatory, doesn’t mean that everyone will have it.
We will show you all of your protection options, recommend the right limits and make sure you are receiving all of the discounts you are entitled to.
Buying Liability Insurance
People who buy liability insurance that provides for their defense and pays legal judgements on their behalf frequently make two mistakes:
- The buy far too little coverage, not realizing the substantial amount of money involved in a death or an injury suit- both in the cost of a judgement and the cost involved to defend their case.
- They buy inconsistent limits ($100,000 on their car, $300,000 on their home, $50,000 on their boat, and so on), even though they are protecting the same income and monetary assets, not realizing the danger of having inconsistent coverage.
Since the vast majority of car accidents involve cars occupied by only one person, we recommend one of three strategies:
- Select a per person limit high enough to meet your lawsuit coverage needs for one person’s injuries. We recommend a minimum coverage of $250,000 per person and $500,000 per accident as a reasonable place to start.
- Buy single limit coverage- one pool of money large enough to cover all injuries and property damage without a limit on the amount paid to any one person. $300,000 to $500,000 is the least amount of single limit coverage you should consider
- Buy a second layer of liability protection with an Umbrella Liability policy of $1 million or more. Please note: you want the umbrella policy also include $1 million or more of uninsured/underinsured motorist protection (this protects you and your family)
Insuring Your Personal Injuries
Injuries happen in car accidents far more often than in any other type of accident- plain, train, industrial, boat, etc. If you are injured in a car accident, you usually have more than one source from which to collect your medical expenses, lost wages, pain & suffering:
- One source may be your own health insurance and disability insurance
- Another source may be the personal liability coverage of the other driver, if the accident was his fault and if he has insurance with adequate limits of liability.
- The third source is the uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your own auto policy. If you are injured in a car accident and the other driver is at fault but has no auto insurance or inadequate liability limits you may recover medical expense, lost wages, pain and suffer from you own personal auto policy with this coverage.
We recommend buying as much protection for you and your family members injuries (as caused by another) as you buy to cover the injuries you yourself cause to someone else. In other words buy the same Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage limits and you buy for liability insurance (bodily injury).
Dealing with Damage to Your Vehicle
Collision coverage covers damage resulting from colliding with another object (for example, another vehicle, building, post, or curt), regardless of fault
Comprehensive (also known as Other Than Collision) coverage covers damage resulting from most other kinds of accidental damage to your vehicle, such as theft, fire, vandalism, hail, glass breakage, hitting a deer, or wind.
Both of these coverages are subject to an up-front deductible (copayment) on your part. When purchasing either coverage it is wise to assume as much risk as you can afford- financially and emotionally, through higher deductibles- or possibly not purchasing these coverages at all.
Tip: If you driving record has deteriorated and your premiums are in danger of raising significantly (or you face cancellation) with one more claim, we recommend very high deductibles or $1000 or higher. In all likelihood it won’t make sense to file a small claim- and risk the higher premiums- so why pay for something you are not going to use?
Rental Coverage and Towing
Loss of use/car rental coverage is important. All of us depend on our vehicle to get us where we need to go. If a collision or other covered loss deprives you of your car, you will likely need a substitute vehicle. If your car is badly damaged or there is a parts delay, the car rental bill could be several hundred dollars in out-of-pocket expense. We recommend buying at least $30 per day benefit
Towing (road service) is offered by most insurers. Coverage is typically limited to a fixed dollar amount per tow/disablement. In general companies like AAA do a much better job (better networks=faster response time, easier/no paperwork) than purchasing this coverage through your insurance company. Plus too many towing claims can negatively affect your relationship with you auto insurance company.
Cincinnati General Insurance Agency LLC
Protection is meaningless after the accident. And think of it. We are all one mishap away from devastating personal and financial loss.
At Cincinnati General Insurance Agency LLC we have protected the residents and business of Cincinnati and the greater Midwest since 2009. We know the area. We know the residents. We know how to protect you with the right car insurance
Avoiding accidents is not promised to you or anyone else. So, don’t delay. Be prepared for life’s misfortunes. Complete the Protection Savings Form now and let the professionals at Cincinnati General Insurance Agency LLC forge a shield of protection over you.
We have been extremely happy with the service that we have received from Cincinnati General Insurance. They go out of their way to find the best insurance policies for both our house and our cars. They also get back to us immediately for any information that we need or when we haJim and Christie B.
Please note: the information provided here is of a general information nature and is accurate to the best of our ability. We are insurance agents and not insurance experts. Please consult your own policy and with your own agent for specific coverage questions and concerns.